3 Channel Balers for Hermes Fulfilment
Energy efficient top performance – convincingly demonstrated in practice at Otto Group dispatch center
Hermes Fulfilment GmbH operates the central depot for the trading companies of the Otto Group in Haldensleben (Saxony-Anhalt, Germany). The dispatch center has seen constant extensions since 2010 because smooth and fast handling requires constantly increasing capacities. The first Austropressen channel baling press APK-D42 was commissioned in 2017 and two more have since 2018 been working highly successfully in this active company. The Haldensleben location operates with a staff complement of about 3 700, picking and loading up to 300 000 parcels per day on these original company premises.
Coping with the huge volumes of packaging materials easily and quickly demands true power of performance to ensure uninterrupted and fully automatic compact baling of the cardboard material. The three Austropressen APK-D42 channel balers convincingly demonstrate reliability, energy efficiency and top performance in practice at the Otto Group dispatch center.
100% top performance at 30% reduction
in energy consumption and minimal emission of sound
With their peak performance and minimum energy consumption, the modern Austropressen plants achieve continuous, efficient operation. The three machines are all equipped with a frequency converter driven 30 kW unit. Frequency converter, drive stops and optimized hydraulic equipment together reduced overall energy consumption by around 30%. This high and yet economic power of performance has been achieved at minimum acoustic emission. This is based on a special quiet pump and specific intelligent installations. The result: optimal and safe staff working conditions.
Formats and output: Bale dimensions of 1000 x 750 x 1200-1300 mm deliver bale weights between 400 and 450 kg for cardboard. Automatic pressure-dependent adjustment of three sides of the channel is advantageous here. Hourly outputs of 390 m³ are theoretically achievable, despite of pressure forces by 420 kN.
Technical Data and Equipment
- Pressure force 420 kN and theoretical performance 390 m³/h.
- 30 kW drive units are frequency converter powered and sensors in the hopper ensure immediate switch-off in case of no infeed. This translates to intelligent efficiency of energy consumption and cost.
- The silent pump in the hydraulic tank reduces acoustic emission to a minimum.
- Fully automatic and wire-saving DRILLFIX binding system and 3-fold horizontal binding with added wire monitoring system.
- Patented cutting system will minimise jamming of materials, energy consumption per pressing cycle and cutter material wear.
- Exchangeable HARDOX floor plates will reduce overall wear.
- Automatic pressure-dependent adjustment of three sides of the channel guarantees high bale weights.
- An oil care system will also save costs. The cooling, heating and cleaning system will multiply the service life of hydraulic equipment and fluid.
- Connection to the in-house network for transmission of machine data will allow permanent observation and control (number of bales and error messages).
- This additional access will also allow fast and cost-effective remote maintenance at all times.
- Bale weights for cardboard 400 to 450 kg (size 1000x750x1200-1300 mm).